The first release of 2015 from Models Own comes in the form of the Colour Chrome collection, and just LOOK at those bottles! They could contain tar and I'd still buy them looking like that...although thankfully the contents is much more pleasing ;) I have 5 shades to share with you today!
I know a lot of people have been hoping for a chrome collection from a readily available brand such as Models Own for a while, including me! I had a feeling we'd be seeing these soon (don't ask me why...gut nail blogger instinct?!) They remind me of the Sally Hansen Color Foil polishes, which I'm yet to see in the UK.
The formula is reminiscent of smooth, liquid metal and has a flat foil-like finish with little to no shimmer, which is what I wanted from them! We also see the return of the flat brush (last seen in the Diamond Luxe collection) which really helps to get good application
Due to the nature of the super smooth and lightweight formula, perfect application can be a little tricky at first, but they're more or less streak free when applied well. As with any formula like this, imperfections in your nail surface (ridges, dents) will show up under the polish, so make sure you buff your nails beforehand to smooth them out. All of my swatches are without base coat and top coat, and I would recommend you ditch them too, they don't work well with polishes like this! (you could possibly try a good ridge filling base coat, but the one I tried from Essie didn't have good results)
Chrome Pink - 2 coats. In bright light they have a lighter shine, and in darker light they have a more metal looking finish. (hopefully I've made sense there, who can say)
Chrome Blue - 2 coats
Chrome Green - 2 coats
Chrome Silver - 2 coats
Chrome Gold - 2 coats
As you can see, the odd ridge is visible but it's nothing distracting. These are really good chromes, the finish speaks for itself and the fluidity of the application is quite surprising. They also make great stamping polishes (I've so far tried them with a squishy stamper and a firmer Konad stamper, the firmer one worked great but the squishy one was temperamental) so even if you wouldn't wear them alone, they're worth buying for that in my opinion; I'm over the moon to have a lovely new set of stamping polishes!
- Buff nail surface before application (lightly, don't overdo it)
- Make sure nails are clean of oils/creams etc.
- Get an even amount on your brush, don't let it gloop off the end!
- Apply in a light fluid motion from cuticle to tip, try not to go over the same bit more than once (per coat)
- Apply 2 coats
- Don't use top coat!
My picks: Silver and Blue
- Exciting news! Limited quantities of these polishes will be available in the Models Own 50% off sale! Your chance to grab them for a mere £2.50 each, beginning on January 29th at 10am on www.modelsownit.com
- Available from UK Models Own Bottle Shops from 31st January, and Superdrug stores from 11th of February, priced £4.99 each